Penn State York is primarily a commuter campus with about 10 percent of our students living in off-campus housing. Off-campus housing options in York vary by price and quality. The Penn State York Student Affairs Office is here to help. Please contact the office for assistance with housing concerns.
NOTE: The Pennsylvania State University makes no representation regarding the Web sites listed within this Web page and regarding the housing or landlords listed through those links. The properties are listed at the request of the landlords to assist students in locating possible off-campus housing opportunities. Students are responsible to inspect the property and negotiate lease terms with any landlord. The Pennsylvania State University has not inspected or investigated these listings or landlords in any way and is not endorsing any specific properties or landlords for students by this listing. The Pennsylvania State University disclaims any responsibility, among other things, for the condition of any premises, terms of any leases, treatment by any landlord, or compliance with any applicable local zoning ordinances.
- Apartment Finder allows individuals to search for a place by the number of bedrooms, range of rent cost, neighborhood or area of town, and a wide variety of amenities.
- ApartmentList.com - More than 1.8 million listings nationwide.
- Creativity Unleashed - This York county relocation guide introduces you to the York community, describes living here, playing here, and working here. Profiles of local York people and places.
- Downtown York, PA provides information about shopping, dining, recreation/attractions, and housing in the York City area.
- Explore York - This resource offers the official York County Visitors Guide, coupons, and interactive maps, as well as information about shopping, dining, and things to do/events to attend.
- Penn State Office of Off-Campus Student Support - There are resources to help off-campus students such as help with landlord/rent rights, deciding whether to live off-campus or considerations when searching for a roommate.
- Penn State Student Legal Services - Student Legal Services provides advice, referrals, document drafting, and other legal services to University Park and Commonwealth Campus students facing personal legal issues.
Important Housing Considerations
The most important first step in the search for housing is to know what you are looking for; so, before beginning your search, evaluate your circumstances and answer the following questions:
- What can I afford?
- What are the advantages/disadvantages of the various types of housing?
- What kind of accommodations do I want?
- Where do I want to live?
- How much and what kinds of space do I need?
- Do I want a roommate or roommates?
- What are the rights and obligations of tenants and property owners?
- Do I know how to evaluate a rental agreement (lease)?
- When am I willing to start paying rent?
- What are the transportation options available at this location?
- What are the terms of the lease agreement?