YORK, Pa. — Making ideas reality is the goal of the York LaunchBox – powered by Penn State. Now hosted virtually, the LaunchBox began offering services in September, and is a hub connecting innovators in the York, Hanover, Lancaster and surrounding area to the support and resources they need to navigate their way to success.
No-cost resources include:
- Early-stage entrepreneur workshops
- Legal and intellectual property advice
- An entrepreneur speaker series with actionable advice
- One-on-one mentorship and consultations
“We are excited to help entrepreneurs develop their ideas and begin building their businesses and products,” said Allan Lehman, director of the Graham Center for Innovation and Collaboration (The Graham Center) at Penn State York leading LaunchBox activities.
“While the pandemic has certainly disrupted certain aspects of our lives, entrepreneurs have not slowed down, and are still working on their next big idea," said Lehman. “Hosting our programs in a virtual environment will allow those with busy schedules to get involved without having to leave their home or office."
York LaunchBox is open both to community members and those affiliated with Penn State York. No affiliation with Penn State is necessary to access resources.
"Since 1926, when Penn State began offering our classes in York, the University has supported the economic development of our community through academic programs, workforce development opportunities, and technology transfer,” said David Christiansen, chancellor of Penn State York. “The creation of the York LaunchBox allows us to extend this support even more effectively, with personalized resources that meet the needs of aspiring entrepreneurs."
Upcoming Events (via Zoom)
Entrepreneur’s Journey and SCORE Next Step Grant
Wednesday, Oct. 28, at 5:30 p.m.
- Jennifer Heasley of "Cooking with the Pros" and an entrepreneur and business owner, will share her story of starting her own business. John Tile, the Susquehanna SCORE Chapter chairperson, will share information about this year’s Next Step Grant, which Heasley received last year.
Global Entrepreneurship Week (GEW)
Tuesday, Nov. 17, at 5 p.m.
- Paige Wingert, CEO of L2 Brands, will share his entrepreneurial journey and provide actionable advice.
Navigating SBIR Grants
December 2020 (time and date TBA)
- Kelly Wylam, director Innovation Partnership, will discuss how to access Small Business Innovation Research (SBIR) grants through the Ben Franklin Partnership.
For more information about virtual events or to register, contact Beth Brennan at [email protected] or call 717-771-8407.
York LaunchBox is a signature program of the Invent Penn State initiative and one of 21 innovation hubs located in Penn State campus communities across Pennsylvania. Learn more at the York LaunchBox website; contact Allan Lehman at [email protected]; or call 717-771-8408.
The Invent Penn State initiative was launched in 2015 by Penn State President Eric Barron and is aimed at driving job creation, economic development and student career success by connecting aspiring entrepreneurs to those who can help bring their ideas to the marketplace. Find more resources at invent.psu.edu.