If the video embed above does not play, please follow this link to watch the Transfer 101 video.
Students are eligible to transfer to Penn State York if they:
- are in good academic standing at their previous college(s) and
- have obtained their high school diploma or equivalent, and
- have attempted 18 or more credits at another accredited college or university after obtaining a high school diploma or equivalent.
Students can transfer into one of the majors at the York campus or can complete their entrance to major requirements before transitioning to another Penn State campus to finish their degree.
There are specific admissions requirements for transfer students that are different from those for students just out of high school, and requirements may vary from major to major. Typically, students must have a specific cumulative GPA from all colleges attended as well as have taken certain courses while in college. For more specific information about admissions requirements for a particular major, contact our Office of Admissions.
How to Apply
Students are encouraged to apply online by setting up a MyPennState profile. Transfer students should apply for admission as soon as possible prior to the start of the desired semester. A completed application includes the application itself, the application fee ($65), official copies of all college transcripts, and an official copy of the high school transcript, regardless of how long ago the student may have attended. On average, transfer student applications take longer to process than first-year student applications because of the credit evaluation.
An official evaluation of all transfer credits will occur after a student applies for admission and is accepted. If an unofficial evaluation of transfer credits is desired prior to applying or being accepted, please visit our Transferring Credits Tool, or contact us.
Next Steps for Transfer Students
Once a student has applied and been accepted, the next step is to:
- pay the $230 non-refundable acceptance fee. This indicates to Penn State that a student plans on attending classes.
- contact the Advising Office to schedule courses
- obtain and submit syllabi for any of the courses that do not transfer as a direct equivalent to a Penn State course as listed on the Evaluation of Transferable Credits letter (which was included with your offer of admission)
At any time in their academic career, transfer students are welcome to make an appointment with a transfer counselor to plan course selection, to obtain a transcript evaluation, or to learn more about the application process.
To schedule an appointment to meet with a transfer counselor or to arrange a tour, please contact us.
Please remember to bring your unofficial transcripts with you to this appointment!